Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cancer

My aunt's husband has cancer. He was diagnosed in July with stage four colon & liver cancer and shortly after the diagnosis a scan of his lungs found cancer there, too.

As hard as it is to be optimistic, I know the reality of this but can't bear to think about the outcome. People beat cancer everyday. People also die from it everyday and with it being in three organs and stage four, this can't be good.

Every time I talk to my aunt, I walk away and cry or get off the phone and cry. Watching her struggle with this is more heart wrenching than anything I have ever witnessed. It is hard to see Rob struggle too, but at this point he is on pain meds and is completely out of it. I guess knowing that he will get some peace is comforting. My aunt on the other hand is watching her husband slowly die. Then she will have to deal with the heartbreak of his death and somehow pick up the pieces and move on while dealing with the grief.

They were together almost 13 years. They were just married one year ago in May. It was my aunts first marriage and his second. They're both in their 50's. This kind of thing just isn't supposed to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment